I had a working (very simple) Roo project that I was happy with. Then I made the mistake of trying to add a GWT front end because it was supposed to be as easy as "gwt setup". Long story short, the project could not even compile once I ran "gwt setup", so I decided to remove it and go back to Spring MVC.
I could not find any posts on this in the forum, so I thought I would offer up the steps I used to remove GWT. A simple "gwt remove" command would be a nice addition to Roo.
1. Delete all generated source from src/main/java/**/gwt
2. Remove GWT dependencies from pom.xml
3. Remove GWT servlet from web.xml
4. In webmvc-config.xml, change
<mvc:view-controller path="/" view-name="/ApplicationScaffold.html"/>
5. From the Roo console, run: perform clean
<mvc:view-controller path="/" view-name="index"/>
6. mvn tomcat:run