Check out the javadocs of UrlBasedViewResolver:
or take a look at the springworkflow system (http://dev.competities.com) that handles redirecting and forwarding and defining the possible workflows in a central xml file and handles the navigation programming for the flows.
* <p>As a special feature, redirect URLs can be specified via the "redirect:"
* prefix. E.g.: "redirect:myAction.do" will trigger a redirect to the given
* URL, rather than resolution as standard view name. This is typically used
* for redirecting to a controller URL after finishing a form workflow.
* <p>Furthermore, forward URLs can be specified via the "forward:" prefix. E.g.:
* "forward:myAction.do" will trigger a forward to the given URL, rather than
* resolution as standard view name. This is typically used for controller URLs;
* it is not supposed to be used for JSP URLs - use logical view names there.