Remoting with different versions of Spring (RMI, Spring's HTTP invoker or Hessian)
I need to do RPC between two applications in the following scenario:
- Each application uses a different version of Spring.
- One of them, is a third party application. So Iíll never take control of which version of Spring will they use in future versions. Currently they are using 2.0.8.
- Our application is based on Spring 2.5.x and soon will use 3.0.x
- Applications are in different machines.
- Both applications could have the same operating system (SunOS 5.9). But is preferable to have the possibility of change.
- Both applications run on different JVMs with the same version of JDK.
Iím interested in use RMI, Spring's HTTP invoker or Hessian.
I have been advised against RMI for this scenario (http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?t=81788)
Are versions 2.0.x of HTTP Invoker compatible with posterior versions? What guarantees do I have that it will keep working in future versions of Spring?
And the same question also applies to Spring-Hessian.
Thanks in advance.